The Detroit City Council voted unanimously on Tuesday to approve a new $45 million mixed-use development project in the North End, a move that officials say will significantly expand Detroit affordable housing options in one of the city’s rapidly changing neighborhoods.
The development, slated for a vacant stretch along Oakland Avenue, will introduce 120 new residential units, along with 5,000 square feet of ground-floor retail space dedicated to local small businesses. According to the proposal submitted to the Planning Commission, at least 60 percent of the units will be reserved for residents earning between 50 percent and 80 percent of the Area Median Income (AMI).
Details of the North End Development
The project, tentatively named “The Oakland Gateway,” is a partnership between the city and a coalition of local developers. It represents a continued effort to revitalize the Woodward corridor’s adjacent neighborhoods without displacing long-time residents.
“This project is about more than just bricks and mortar; it is about ensuring that longtime Detroiters have a place in the city’s future,” said Julie Schneider, director of the City of Detroit’s Housing and Revitalization Department. “By locking in affordability rates for the next 30 years, we are protecting this community against market volatility.”
The building design features a modern brick façade intended to blend with the historic architecture of the North End. It will include community meeting spaces and a rooftop green space accessible to all tenants.
Impact on Detroit Affordable Housing
Housing advocates have long called for increased inventory as rents in Greater Downtown continue to rise. This new approval comes on the heels of several other major redevelopment projects in Corktown, creating a city-wide conversation about equitable growth.
For residents, the inclusion of “deeply affordable” units—those targeted at 50 percent AMI—is a critical component. Data from the University of Michigan’s poverty solutions center suggests that housing stability is the primary factor in economic mobility for Detroit families.
“We need development, but we need development that includes us,” said Marcus Hall, a resident of the North End for over 20 years, who spoke during the public comment portion of the council meeting. “If this project delivers on its promise of Detroit affordable housing, it will be a welcome addition.”
Background and Funding Sources
Financing for “The Oakland Gateway” utilizes a complex stack of funding sources, including Low-Income Housing Tax Credits (LIHTC) and a portion of the city’s American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funds. The strategic use of federal funds to bridge the construction gap has been a hallmark of recent administration policies.
This project is part of a broader strategy. Earlier this year, the mayor’s office announced a goal to preserve or build 10,000 units of affordable housing. You can read more about the administration’s previous initiatives in our coverage of the Mayor’s comprehensive housing plan.
What Happens Next
With City Council approval secured, the developers are expected to break ground in late spring. The construction timeline is estimated at 18 months, with leasing applications opening approximately three months prior to completion.
City officials have stated that they will be holding quarterly community meetings to keep residents updated on construction impacts and road closures along Oakland Avenue.

